Wednesday 30 November 2016

EYES OF THE MERCILESS


With hands folded crossing each other, eyes had turned red and all over the face where signs of sorrow and disgrace. I had sat on a three-decker metallic bed looking down. On my left lied an empty suitcase and a small Jerry can besides it.

On the far side, sat two boys and the taller one was called Alfred. The guy was tall, black and wasn't from central Uganda. Unfortunately after one year he was expelled.

"Are you ok man?" a question from another boy whom I recall to be Brian. "No, my matress, blanket and everything were stolen.  I replied with tears about to break through though am a man.

BEFORE 

One year back I had joined Mbogo mixed school for S5 and S6. Mbogo mixed is located in metres away from Kampala-Bombo road but along kawanda road.

 It was neighbouring Kawanda agricultural research centre and surrounded with gardens plus teachers' quarters facing the main gate.  So escapism was never in our minds.

At the close of the  term, there was a tendance of keeping the students' property in case you wanted. I was among the few who were interested since no one was there to pick me from school. 

That term I left both the suitcase and matress in the hands of the school for safety. But it later turned into a regret as I lost almost everything. 

So on returning for a new term, I was shocked to find an empty suitcase and the matress couldn't be traced since it had no tracking device.

Immediately the matter was reported to Mr.Ziwa the then warden. Together we moved checking each and every dormitory whereas property was never retained. At that moment things became unfavourable.

I got into my allocated dormitory and I recall it was marked Kampala on the outside.  They were named before countries and capital cities. 

I sat on  a three-decker metallic bed unhappy but there was nothing to do.  Later in the evening I was called in to the warden's office and he gave me a small matress of about one inch.

I spent a week checking to see whether I can get my property but I later came to know that it was the work of the guards to steal and sell our property at low costs.



No comments:

Post a Comment